Page 1 of 1
Fuel Gauge Sending Unit
Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:12 am
Was shopping last weekend, and found one in the boating dept. that looked similar to the ones in the LJ10/20 gas tank, so yesterday I grabbed a spare gasket I had, and tried to match it up. Sure enough, it matched, so I bought one. Pulled the PTO plate on the V so I could access it, and took some readings of the unit that is in there (since I know that gas gauge works fine. Checked it with the gas tank full and empty, then hooked up the wires on the new one, manually moved the float (since it isn't in a tank), and checked readings with it in the "full" and "empty" positions. The readings matched, so I think this will work. Next step is to actually put it in the tank and test it. Also tested a spare used one I had, which I didn't think worked, and I was right (it didn't work).
This is a two wire model (2nd wire is a ground), but otherwise it looks the same. The brand is Tempo, and the model number is 280050. Cost about $20.
Right now, the gas gauge is the only thing on the RHD that doesn't work, so hopefully this will fix it!
Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:18 pm
great work, good news
Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:52 pm
The bolt (screw) holes are in the same place as well?
Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:25 pm
Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:54 pm
Jimny wrote:The bolt (screw) holes are in the same place as well?
Yes, they match up perfectly.
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:11 am
Well I finally was able to sneak out to the garage yesterday and put this in the RHD. I still wasn't sure the sending unit was the problem, so I wanted to test a few things first. Ended up taking about four hours, due to the fact that my sending unit was bad AND the wire was bad. I had to pull the gauge cluster out of my other LJ10 (since I knew that gauge worked), hooking up the new sending unit (which didn't work because the wire was bad), then running a new wire to the old sending unit (which also didn't work), then finally running a separate wire from the working gauge cluster to the new sending unit, which finally gave a reading. I have a feeling the wire got brittle, shorted out, which in turn shorted out the sending unit. Long story short - The tank is back in with the new sending unit mentioned above, with a new wire running to the "unit" terminal on the back of the RHD gauge cluster, and everything works. I even filled up the gas tank, to see the sending unit move up, which it does just fine. So yes, this sending unit will work. I'm going to do a little searching online, and see if I can get a better deal on these, so I can stock them for others who need them.
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:20 am
Great news on the sending unit. Sorry it was so much work. I though the sending unit might be bad on my LJ20 but the new instrument cluster I got from you at Cooke City fixed that problem. Question: Even though the tanks are small, how did you come about the money to fill up the gas tank. My guess is it was probably added to the total on my recent parts order. Thanks for the info Steve, Hope you enjoy my gas.
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:42 am
Myers wrote:My guess is it was probably added to the total on my recent parts order. Thanks for the info Steve, Hope you enjoy my gas.
Not quite true though - I used my own money to fill up the LJ tank, but I did
need to fill up the truck though: it's got a much bigger tank, and diesel is more expensive than gas...
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:52 pm