LJ Keys

Any other parts that are direct replacements.

Moderator: stevec

stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

LJ Keys

Post by stevec »

The original keys for the LJ10 and LJ20 are different from modern keys, in that they are only cut on one side, whereas most modern car keys are cut the same on both sides (so it fits upside down). The V was missing the keys when I got it, so I just ordered a new ignition switch from Suzuki. It's the same, except the keys are the "modern" style (same as on my Samurai, in fact). It works fine, except that I can't use them in the doors, so I have to make sure I don't lock it. On convertibles, this is less of an issue, except that the key also fits the glovebox. I've had a couple of people ask about this, but the original key style is somewhat unusual, and so locksmith's have a hard time finding it. I even ordered a blank from Suzuki, and it too was the newer style.

Well, thanks to McKFam, another LJ problem has been solved. After much research, McKFam found a key blank that works. It's an old Toyota key, and the style number is TA6. So if you've lost your keys, or just want another spare, this is the blank you need! I myself am going to get a couple, and make sure they're cut to fit the door locks and (original) ignition switch on the V! :D If anyone has trouble finding these blanks, PM me or McKFam.

McKFam, thanks for all your hard work!!!!!!!! :hail:
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
woodchopper
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by woodchopper »

I recently had a key cut for my LJ80-II (2 sided key)

the key blank is an ilco and marked X54 and DC1

the shop was able to look up the number on the original worn key and then computer cut an original duplicate. :D
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

LJ80's use the same style key as a Samurai/SJ413, and blanks are still available. They have the plastic covering the handle, but still say "Suzuki" on them! :D
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude