Spark Plug Wires...

Little tricks and some things you shouldn't do for your L Series Suzuki

Moderator: stevec

Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Spark Plug Wires...

Post by Jimny »

If you should replace your spark plug wires do not use the high suppression wires that are made for todays cars, they are made for electronic ignitions and your points in your LJ can not produce enough power to go through the fiber wire, it will run fine at low to medium RPM's but at higher RPM's you will lose power.

Always use the ones with a sold wire in them.
I'd rather be driving my LJ!
crispy
Speeling Police
Speeling Police

Post by crispy »

Hmm that seems to be the problem I'm having with mine at the moment, was running high supression leads but have since replaced them but still have the problem so will try another set of leads and get a tune up done
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

Keep me informed crispy on what you do to fix the problem.

The V I had wouldn't reach top end, it would sputter and almost choke, it had the original wires on it, so I figured it wasn't the problem and it would start with just one turn of the engine, I could reach in and flip the cooling fan once and it would start so I thought it was right on time so I didn't mess with it too much then my dad was at my shop one day and I revved the engine up and he said "it's out of time" I said no it can't be, well to make a long story short I moved the distributor about two inches and that baby revved up high so quick and tight it was awesome, all that time I messed with it thinking it wasn't the timing.
I'd rather be driving my LJ!
crispy
Speeling Police
Speeling Police

Post by crispy »

yeah i suspect that mine is the timing aswell, as on the weekend it had no high end rpms which i needed so ill get my timing adjusted and get a general tune up i think
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Be sure and check the side play in the dist. shaft. If the bearings get worn, it'll run crappy at higher RPMs.
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.