Parts cleaning

Little tricks and some things you shouldn't do for your L Series Suzuki

Moderator: stevec

toontown
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Parts cleaning

Post by toontown »

Hello there everyone. Well the tear down is just about complete, went a little slower than I had hoped but thats usually how it goes I hear. I had a quick question in regards to cleaning and degreasing, what do you all use to clean these parts? I don't have a parts washer but is it something i should invest in? Will bearings and seals be affected by degreaser or cleaner? Any imput would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Re: Parts cleaning

Post by stevec »

I use a small (3 gal?) parts washer for small stuff, and have a 30 gal. for big stuff. The big one just uses a cheap degreaser diluted with water, the small one uses a parts cleaning solvent. Bearings should not be affected at all by either. Seals probably are, but I always replace them with new ones anyway.
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
zukimoo
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by zukimoo »

I used a small parts washer with cleaner for the bearings and other parts. When it comes to the seals I'd go over them with a rag and some brake cleaner. I tried to change all the seals but sometimes it was a rush so if it looked good it went back in.

Years back when I worked in welding the shop I worked in had a parts washer that was basically an industrial dishwasher. Worked just like the one you have in your house but made out of steel.

Remember not to leave the parts in the washer fluid because of rust and WD-40 is an awesome parts coater. You spray the clean bare parts and they won't rust while you wait to put it back together.

I used to clean bearings and shoot them with compressed air and never thought it was dangerous. My friend was cleaning a SJ413 front wheel bearing for me and used the air and the bearing failed when it was spinning. Blew apart in his hands and he was lucky he didn't get hurt.
81 LJ80, 3500lbs winch, 1.0 HO, 1000cc's of pure power....brap...listen to her go

Mods 2 come
-Lockrite in the back, -spring over done right and complete,-cross over steering,-seats,-6000lbs +- winch on front,-3500lbs winch ,moved to back,-highlift jack
SuzukiTom
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by SuzukiTom »

zukimoo wrote:I used to clean bearings and shoot them with compressed air and never thought it was dangerous. My friend was cleaning a SJ413 front wheel bearing for me and used the air and the bearing failed when it was spinning. Blew apart in his hands and he was lucky he didn't get hurt.
When I was a kid working in motorcycle shops, we used to save all of the ball bearings we replaced, spin them up to a zillion rpm with compressed air, and turn 'em loose at the other mechanics across the shop floor! We never gave it a thought that they might blow up in our hands!
Thomas Howlett

Resistance is Futile (if < 1 ohm)

SuzukiTom101@yahoo.com
toontown
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by toontown »

Thanks everyone, I guess I'll pick up a parts washer and get busy :cool:
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

SuzukiTom wrote:
zukimoo wrote:I used to clean bearings and shoot them with compressed air and never thought it was dangerous. My friend was cleaning a SJ413 front wheel bearing for me and used the air and the bearing failed when it was spinning. Blew apart in his hands and he was lucky he didn't get hurt.
When I was a kid working in motorcycle shops, we used to save all of the ball bearings we replaced, spin them up to a zillion rpm with compressed air, and turn 'em loose at the other mechanics across the shop floor! :whip: :hammer: :whip: We never gave it a thought that they might blow up in our hands!
Spinning bearings with compressed air is also hard on any bearing you plan to reuse.
"LJsRME"
SuzukiTom
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by SuzukiTom »

Myers wrote:
SuzukiTom wrote:
When I was a kid working in motorcycle shops, we used to save all of the ball bearings we replaced, spin them up to a zillion rpm with compressed air, and turn 'em loose at the other mechanics across the shop floor! :whip: :hammer: :whip: We never gave it a thought that they might blow up in our hands!
Spinning bearings with compressed air is also hard on any bearing you plan to reuse.
Where's the fun in that?
Thomas Howlett

Resistance is Futile (if < 1 ohm)

SuzukiTom101@yahoo.com