My LJ is not a boat

Little tricks and some things you shouldn't do for your L Series Suzuki

Moderator: stevec

mparno
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

My LJ is not a boat

Post by mparno »

I thought this would be the appropriate section to post this.
do: check both sides of the submerged trail for depth before driving through.
don't: try to drown your passenger!
Attachments
See how close to the intake the water was.
See how close to the intake the water was.
aDSCN5531.JPG
lj20Colorado
eBay Sniper

Re: My LJ is not a boat

Post by lj20Colorado »

yeah :realshocked: it ant a boot but its cool thought :cool: how did you get it out? did you have much damage
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them. "john wayne 1976"
mparno
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

Post by mparno »

There was a large group of us so I was winched out. No serious damage, just a lot of water in places. One or two inches deeper and I would have been sucking water into the breather.
Ruby
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Ruby »

Yikes that's deep. I hit a good mudhole at the meet last year in Alberta, I think only Myers caught that one. Seemed deep at the time.
Revolving door of LJ's, currently down to one LJ 81
Rick Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Rick Friesen »

Wow that's awesome! I've had water flowing over the hood of my tin top without problems, but yeah, I should have checked first. One of those brainless moments that could have been a lot worse. The only fun part about it is that two taller rigs wouldn't follow me through after they saw how deep it was!
LJ80s, I can't collect them all, but I might still try...
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

As long as you're moving forward, the front will create a bit of a wave, which will help keep water out of the engine compartment. Not a lot, but it can be enough. On that river crossing at last year's meet, I had water coming over the hood on the V (with stock sized 165R15 tires, it sat lower than the other rigs there), but when I checked under the hood, it was 1-2" below the top of the fender on the inside.
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
zukimoo
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by zukimoo »

that is a nice Lj....there is one down here like that and the guy just doens't want to sell it. His kid drives it around the farm. The frame is broken. I offered to buy him a newer tracker that is in good shape but he still doesn't want to.

I've been in the same situation as you....two years ago I stalled the Lj in maybe a little less water. They pulled me out and after about 5 minutes it fired right up. No water in the engine or anything.
81 LJ80, 3500lbs winch, 1.0 HO, 1000cc's of pure power....brap...listen to her go

Mods 2 come
-Lockrite in the back, -spring over done right and complete,-cross over steering,-seats,-6000lbs +- winch on front,-3500lbs winch ,moved to back,-highlift jack
michael mcauliffe
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by michael mcauliffe »

I'm in the Suzuki 4WD Club of NSW (Australia) and one of the most valuable things they taught me was, if in doubt "walk it out" and use a blind (cover) on the front if necessary.

I've had to recovery some zooks and non zooks from the mud in my time (not with the LJ) but with my 3ltr turbo diesel Nissan and i can tell you, it makes a mess.

I really hate the mud because it gets into everthing !!

Mick
E L J 5 0 T
n.r.g97
Dreams of LJs all day
Dreams of LJs all day

Post by n.r.g97 »

been there, not in my truck either, it was my dads lj and he said not to go in the water, in your landy ok but this is my everyday car...
SuzukiTom
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by SuzukiTom »

I hate mud too.
I learned very early in the my 4 wheeling career that you never, ever, drive up to the waterline of a stock tank (pond), no matter how dry the ground looks.... :hammer:
Thomas Howlett

Resistance is Futile (if < 1 ohm)

SuzukiTom101@yahoo.com
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

Mud is very much like valve grounding compound (4 strokes). Mud = wear... which continues even after it is dry.
"LJsRME"