Brake oddity

Little tricks and some things you shouldn't do for your L Series Suzuki

Moderator: stevec

Dion
Ubercameraman
Ubercameraman

Brake oddity

Post by Dion »

My pressure switch for brakelights (on master cylinder) cracked and started leaking. Before this the brakes worked fine. I removed it and drilled and tapped it so I could plug it internally. After this I had the same problem I've heard here several times. Brakes go almost to floor. One pump and brakes were back. Let sit 2-3 min. First pump straight to the floor again. I bled them several times on level ground, bled master cylinder first of course and still had the same problem. I don't know why I tried this but I put SUZI on a steep downward incline and re-bled master cylinder. Now I have brakes from about 1/2" pedal travel and so far still do. I don't know if this helped or if this is a fluke. Just thought I'd pass this on. (Oh yeah, for brake lights I installed a normally closed switch under the steering placed so the brake pedal pressed the switch when pedal was released as soon as pedal is pressed bingo...Brake lights.) Let me know if you try the bleeding technique and have any success, or if it does nothing for you. The brake problem was driving me nuts and as far as I can tell. It's a very short drive.

Dion
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

That is wild! I will try that if I run across that problem.
I'd rather be driving my LJ!
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Wow, that's interesting...Did you just rebleed the master cylinder on the incline, or did you do the wheels too? Sounds like it could've been air up in the sending unit. How steep was the incline? Sounds like one could jack up the back end in the garage and do it.
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Yeah, interesting. I'm gonna try that as soon as I get Wilson in the shop.
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.
Dion
Ubercameraman
Ubercameraman

brake bleed

Post by Dion »

It was about as steep as two sets of ramps (you know the cheepo's that you get at walmart) with the back tires up on the ramps. I just bled the master cylinder on the incline, the brakes worked all day today. No problems.

Dion
Trev Aus
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

Post by Trev Aus »

I've done the same when bleeding troublesome single circuit brakes it can help get the trapped air up to the bleed nipple you can also clamp off the rear brake hose with a clamp & bleed the front then take the clamp off & bleed the rear.
My mate uses 2 clamps so your only bleeding one wheel at a time, this is mainly when you've lost all the fluid.
I made a tyre valve in an old master cylinder cap, put a hand push bike pump on & give 3 pumps, then just go to each wheel & the air pours out, just keep the fluid up to it.
Trev
Aus