dont try using a "z-link" from stock lj tie rods a

Little tricks and some things you shouldn't do for your L Series Suzuki

Moderator: stevec

Idahopaul
Lead Foot
Lead Foot

dont try using a "z-link" from stock lj tie rods a

Post by Idahopaul »

this is something I thought some of you might try if you spring over the front. I tried it and the rods are to light, they just bend under pressure. I felt that even adding more braces would just move the problem to an other place. the z portion of the rod wants to roll over in a circular motion and causes stress on other patrs of the steering too. also the toe in isnt the best either. the two rods where they connect normally in the stock location is now able to flex back and forth, rolling the z link over in order to do this. thats hard to describe but I hope you understand. :|
Attachments
tierodold.jpg
tierodold.jpg (77.25 KiB) Viewed 12050 times
Strength is for service, not status.
Each one of us needs to look after
the good of the people arounds us,
"How can I help?"
IAMNAT666
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by IAMNAT666 »

I did a front disc conversion on my LJ-50 at the same time as doing an SPOA on it so I used an SJ-410 tie rod and made a Z link out of the SJ-410 steerign arm, only problem is because the parts are all RHD and my LJ is LHD the Z bar is at the back and rests against the diff housing, not a problem though!

Nat
"Its Burning Oil" " It Should Be, I Bloody Hope It Is!"
1979 Suzuki LJ50
http://groups.msn.com/theyorkshireladsoffroad
Idahopaul
Lead Foot
Lead Foot

Post by Idahopaul »

thats what mine did, and when you put pressure on it it will twist and rub the housing or bind the tie rods the opposite way. you will bend it, trust me. hows it working.....
Strength is for service, not status.
Each one of us needs to look after
the good of the people arounds us,
"How can I help?"
Rick Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Z links

Post by Rick Friesen »

I've seen a couple z links and all of them have bent at some point. Pretty much if you put a bend in a steering link, it's going to be a weak link. And it's true, welding on support brackets only moves the problem. The heat stress from welding on the steering link is never a good thing either. In Canada it's illegal to weld steering parts so it's not even an option for me. A machine shop should be able to help you make a nice crossover style steering system which will be much stronger and safer.
LJ80s, I can't collect them all, but I might still try...