Safety Inspection

We are planning an LJ meeting in Colorado for June 21-23, 2005.

Moderators: stevec, Jimny

Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

If the welded diff in the front gives me too much prob this summer, I'll unweld it before the meet in 2005.
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

I WANT LOCKERS FOR AN LJ20!!!!!!!! :Crying:
I'd rather be driving my LJ!
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

People in Hades want ice water.

Ya both got about an equal chance ...
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

LMAO!!!!!!!!!

Good one Smuz!!!!!!
Idahopaul
Lead Foot
Lead Foot

Post by Idahopaul »

not to give the wrong idea, my 4 wheeler drives fine on pavement with all tires the same size! just dont try and goose it going around a corner on pavement cuz you know...

ya, that safety check list is a good idea! we should have a folding shovel and a way to pack water. Idaho requires those when in the woods along with an axe. when on a bike they consider your helmet a bucket.
Strength is for service, not status.
Each one of us needs to look after
the good of the people arounds us,
"How can I help?"
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Yeah, part of our club list of recommended items is a shovel and 3 gallons of water. I'll be bringing both, and hopefully others will be bringing water!

OK, idahopaul, what are you doing on the 'puter at 2:17am (your time) :?:
Idahopaul
Lead Foot
Lead Foot

Post by Idahopaul »

my time must still be wrong. but I work swing and am online late anyways.

so, about the tow straps and winches. you have to have a tow strap right? but winches are optional and if you have one that can go from front to back you dont need the strap? I thought about making the mount for mine on a square tube so as to be able to move it around.
"How can I help?"
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Idahopaul wrote:my time must still be wrong. but I work swing and am online late anyways.

so, about the tow straps and winches. you have to have a tow strap right? but winches are optional and if you have one that can go from front to back you dont need the strap? I thought about making the mount for mine on a square tube so as to be able to move it around.
Well I won't make a tow strap a requirement, as I'll have one or two with me, and I'm sure a few others will too, but you must have a good place to anchor a strap on each end. The factory loops will suffice, assuming they haven't been removed. If you have a winch you can mount on each end, that's fine too, as your winch will become your strap!
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

others will be bringing water!
Water? Whazzat for?
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Smuz wrote:Water? Whazzat for?
You should always bring at least one gallon of water per person on any wheelin' trip, in case the trail gets too dusty. :D
russmehl
Whats in Your Garage?
Whats in Your Garage?

Post by russmehl »

Washin your dust offa my windshield!!!!!!*
Russ

* Cause I want you where I can see you! :wink:
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

in case the trail gets too dusty.
Oh. I thot mebbe you wuz gonna make us take a bath.

That would be askin a lot.
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

:whip:
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Smuz wrote:Oh. I thot mebbe you wuz gonna make us take a bath.

That would be askin a lot.
Nah, I'll just make sure you're downwind from me, and keep a can of Lysol handy!
DrizSki
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Just stuff on safety

Post by DrizSki »

I think it would be a good idea that each vehicle pass the basic issues, roll bar, fire putter outter (can't spell this early), but you can team up for the other things. Have 3-4 teams that have the whole monty.
Since I'm not at home accepting the things I can't change - I must be out changing the things I can't accept!
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

The safety inspection is mostly to make sure vehicles are in good working condition, especially the brakes and steering. While I would like to see rollbars on all of the LJ's, I realize that some LJ's didn't come with one, and if you're trying to restore it to original specs, we shouldn't force something like that on you! Besides, the trails we'll be on are pretty mild. We could say that any modified LJ (i.e. suspension, engine upgrade, etc.) must have a rollbar, but an original restoration does not. How's that work for everyone?
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Works for me, with the exception of Sancho. He's a tintop, so he oughta be ok without one. That said, we're still gonna try to get one in there before the meet, because there'll be 2 small kids riding in back (with GOOD seatbelts).

Now, I still gotta come up with a parking brake rig for Mouser!!! I keep fergetting about that.
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Yes, tintops are of course exempt from the rollbar requirement. (Removeable hardtops are not though) And all vehicles must be street legal, which includes seatbelts for each passenger!
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

stevec wrote:Yes, tintops are of course exempt from the rollbar requirement. (Removeable hardtops are not though) And all vehicles must be street legal, which includes seatbelts for each passenger!
Yer gonna haffa define "street legal" for me. Two of mine don't have license plates and aren't titled, and therefore aren't legal on the street. Exactly what defines "street legal"? Legal on the streets of which state?

BTW: Kansas don't require a spare tiire, a parking brake, a horn, or bumpers to be street legal. They do, however, require a valid VIN and proof of liability insurance. So define it, please. I don't wanna drive alla way out to Co. and find that mine don't qualify.
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.
Idahopaul
Lead Foot
Lead Foot

Post by Idahopaul »

I thought our LJ's had to be registered with a state in order to drive on the dirt roads in CO. check into a conditional title, there are some drawbacks to it but at least yer legal. the only drawbacks are if you stole the vehicle, which you didn't so you are fine. In my state its easy to do you just have to know how to do it. I didnt know what to ask for, so they wouldn't tell me till they got sick of me! I got the idea they don't want everyone doing it! :lol: especially around here where people put mudflaps and lights on frames and drive them around!
"How can I help?"
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

It'll need to be legal in Colorado, which means plates as a minimum I'm sure. We'll be driving on FS roads and other (paved) roads (to get there), and I know the FS requires all vehicles to be street legal to drive there.

Maybe I'll do some research and see exactly what is required for teh roads and trails we'll be driving. In Washington, you don't necessarily need a title to register a vehicle. With a bill of sale, you can get it registered as a "lost title" and after 3 years, you can then apply for a new title if no one has reported it stolen or anything.
Idahopaul
Lead Foot
Lead Foot

Post by Idahopaul »

ya, thats what the conditional title is, its yours in 3 years.
"How can I help?"
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Kansas has nothing like a "conditional title". Ya gotta have a valid, signed and notarized title to the vehicle AND a signed and notarized bill of sale with the purchase price. All I've got for Mouser is a signed title that is dated 1986. Kansas iz gonna take one look at that and say "NO"!

I do intend to have Mouser in "street legal" condition. Prolly the best I can do about registration though, is to put the plates off the Samurai on him and cross my fingers. I'll try to check in on this further at the DMV the next time I'm working in Topeka (the local DMV's are worthless).

I thot sumbody said that you can buy a temp permit to run an unregistered vehicle off-road in Co.
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Here's wot I found on a quick search:

1. Venicles registered in any state are OK.
2. Vehicles not registered in yer home state are OK on county roads and OHV trails if ya buy a $15 OHV permit.

http://www.co.blm.gov/gjra/ohvregistration.htm

It looks like all I gotta do is buy a permit for Mouser from the web site and he'll be OK.
KDKG
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by KDKG »

Go with the ATV registration. It works for me and I wheel all around Colorado. Sure I tow it to the trail head, but heck it beats trying to make my Samurai emissions legal. Plus the Sami isn't too great over about 30 MPH anyway.

For that fact, we don't have a title for Kaity's LJ. So if we manage to get it running by then, it will be registered as an ATV as well.
Home, Retired, and looking like a hippie.