People, Rig count

We are planning an LJ meeting in Colorado for June 21-23, 2005.

Moderators: stevec, Jimny

Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

Oh you're not that far...come on down and join us!!!!! We have someone coming from Australia for Pete's Sake! Your closer then he is! :wink: :wink:
I'd rather be driving my LJ!
thesarg
The Procrastinator
The Procrastinator

Post by thesarg »

lol talk to your immigration official on my behalf then ;), maybe next time
If you cant afford it, fab it!
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Alright, here's the deal: I don't wanna do this over the July 4th weekend anymore. Everyone I've talked to says it's gonna be like freakin' New York City. Silverton, a town with 500 year-round residents, is expecting over 10,000 people that weekend, and most will be there a week or more. Ouray and Lake City will likely be similar...We gotta rethink this.

I've also decided I don't like the idea of the RV parks. Most of them have separate RV and tent sites, and are not very well set up for a group such as ours. Also, most charge $25-32 per night, and have a 3 night minimum for the July 4th weekend. I've also talked to the local Forest Service and BLM officials, and the Chamber of Commerce for Ouray and Silverton. Everyone suggests changing our trip to Late June, Late July (when the wildflowers are in bloom) and September (for the fall colors). September doesn't work for me, as the kids will be back in school, so I prefer late June, with late July as a second choice.

Right now I have the following users planning to attend: jimny, smuz, idahopaul, russmehl, jock, DrizSki, and crossthread fred. Agrotom, rokonbob, tweeder, and KDKG are possibles, along with couple of others who don't seem to be users (yet). I'd like to hear from you all (and anyone else who would like to go!) regarding this, especially with regards to the dates. Again, my first choice would be late June, either the weekend of the 6/18-19 or 6/25-26. we could also do it midweek, in between those weekends (say Tuesday 6/21 - Thurs. 6/23, or 2 out of those 3 days). Then people can just take that week off and take 2-3 days travel time in each direction.

Finally, I've found two suitable places for us to camp. The first (my #1 choice) is the townsite of Eureka, just a few miles from Animas Forks and Cinammon Pass (the 4WD portion of the trail). This townsite is owned by the town of Silverton, and we would be allowed to camp on it for free. This area will be packed by July 4th weekend, but in late June we should find plenty of room. Since Silverton is allowing camping here, there are likely portable toilets, and maybe a water supply. Should also be easy for us to find. The second is "dispersed camping" near South Mineral Campground, a Forest Service Campground. Should be free if the CG is full, but no water or garbage pickup. Plus, it's father away - we'd be on U.S. Hwy 550 for a few miles, then drive up through Howardsville and Eureka to get to the Loop, or all the way up to Ouray on 550 (not recommended!)

In short, I propose moving the trip to Late June and having us camp at the Eureka townsite. I can talk to the Silverton Chamber of Commerce and let them know when we will be there, so they'll know who we are.

Ok, give me some feedback!
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

I have no problem with any of the above. I'm flexible.
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.
russmehl
Whats in Your Garage?
Whats in Your Garage?

Post by russmehl »

I'm in favor of the proposed changes... especially the mid week bit. I'll have to speak with my schedule manager on which dates would be better...
Russ
tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Post by tweeder »

i'm good for the late June, preferably AFTER the 21st since i've heard talk of homebrew :D

july 4 is DEFINITLY a no-go for me.
tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Post by tweeder »

WAIT JUST A MINUTE!!! moving the dates of the meet to ones that I can attend.....

ya'll are just friggin evil makin' me have to be trail-worthy by then!!!
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

tweeder wrote:WAIT JUST A MINUTE!!! moving the dates of the meet to ones that I can attend.....
Yeah, that's the REAL reason I want to change it! :wink:
tweeder wrote:ya'll are just friggin evil makin' me have to be trail-worthy by then!!!
Well, what are you waiting for? GET TO WORK!!! :whip: :twisted:
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Ok, sounds like this change will be okay...Does anyone have a problem with late June? How's Tuesday June 21 sound for a start date? We can do the Alpine Loop Wednesday 6/22, and Imogene Pass or some other trail on Thursday if people want. This way people can leave Thursday if they need/want to.

BTW Smuz, you and I are the only ones who requested hookups, with Russ as a maybe. I've dry camped for three days a few times before (it's what we usually do on our club weekend runs), so I'll be fine. My camper has a 33 gal fresh tank, and we've been able to make that last for three days, even with showers. I'll just plan to arrive with the waste tanks empty and the fresh water tank full. Smuz, I figure that behemoth you're bringing will have much more water that mine will; just wanted to make sure you were cool with dry camping.

There are dump stations in Silverton we can use (probably for a fee). There's also the San Juan Mountains Center, a joint FS/BLM office and visitors center. My plan is to get there a day early, rope off an area for our group, then drive into town in one of the LJ's, check in there, and leave info on our group. This way, others can check in there if they are not sure where to go, and get all the info. They also have a lot of maps and brochures on the area. I'm sure the campgrounds and resorts in Ouray would also let you dump for a fee.
Idahopaul
Lead Foot
Lead Foot

Post by Idahopaul »

ya, Tuesday June 21st is good for me, that gives me three days to get there, should be able to get there in two no problem. then tuesday can be used to setup camp and RELAX, let the kids run and play a bit before we get back in the rig too. I would be ok to leave friday or saturday the latest. I have no problems dry camping, I have holding tanks. that Eureka camping spot sounds real cool! camp sights here in Idaho dont have toilets unless its a pay sight.
Strength is for service, not status.
Each one of us needs to look after
the good of the people arounds us,
"How can I help?"
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Behemoth??? It ain't that freakin big. Well, mebbe.

I got no prob with dry camping, done it lots. I think the rig has 100 gal (or is it 70?) fresh water tank and approptiately sized waste tanks so no prob there. This is an unknown camper to us. We picked it up in Pheonix, Az. last year and only used it a week in Memphis. Be lots of fun getting used to it.

Whatever date we plan, I'll prolly come in a day early to get set up, and I'll be in no big hurry to leave.

This'll be the most fun I've had since the pigs ate Grampa.
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.
Idahopaul
Lead Foot
Lead Foot

Post by Idahopaul »

wow, I gotta hurry up and finish my lj so its good for colorado! hopefully my job will keep me going full time all winter. a drop in the stud market means time off for my chicken sh@t company I work for.
Strength is for service, not status.
Each one of us needs to look after
the good of the people arounds us,
"How can I help?"
tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Post by tweeder »

i'm definately out. my DD needs a new tranny. that's $1500 that i can't put into the LJ or towards the actual trip. $1500 i would NEED for that.
A legend in my own mind.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Geez tweeder, yer just looking for an excuse to not go aren't you? :wink:

Good luck on the tranny; I'll keep you down as "maybe", just in case. If you can't make it, that just means more beer for the rest of us!
tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Post by tweeder »

no, it isn't :-(

and yes it will. :pissed:
A legend in my own mind.
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

YES, IT'S BEER THIRTY!!!!!!!!
It's ALWAYS beer thirty!

Speaking of that Tweeder...Steve is going to have some of his Home-Brew there at the meet, so you gots-ta come now!!!!!!
I'd rather be driving my LJ!
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

We'll have to see about that. With rescheduling it for late June, the get together is in the second week of my vacation instead of the first, which means I'll be in Yellowstone fishing for a week before heading to CO. I just may have it finished off before I get there! :wink:
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

I just may have it finished off before I get there! Wink
I'm bringing a rope.......
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Smuz wrote:I'm bringing a rope.......
:shock: Guess I better make extra....
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

FYI, we currently have 31 people who are "definitely" going to attend, including 21 adults and 10 kids. "Kid" means someone under 18, otherwise it'd be more like 4 adults and 27 kids. Also show a total of 13 LJ's, but this includes 3 for Jimny, and I don't think he has all three anymore.

There's still about 10 people and 8 LJ's listed as "maybe". Hopefully most of these "maybe's" can go, so we can lower the ratio of persons to LJ's! Also, don't have any Canadians on the list at all...what's up with that? Aren't any of you even going to TRY and come? I mean, come on, if Jock can make it all the way from Australia... :roll:
Ruby
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Ruby »

Also, don't have any Canadians on the list at all...what's up with that? Aren't any of you even going to TRY and come? I mean, come on, if Jock can make it all the way from Australia...
I'd like to, but I'll wait till mine's done and blow you all away. Maybe a northwest meet the year after?
Revolving door of LJ's, currently down to one LJ 81
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Ruby wrote:Maybe a northwest meet the year after?
Well I'd CERTAINLY be up for a Northwest meet! :cool:
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

"Kid" means someone under 18, otherwise it'd be more like 4 adults and 27 kids.
I'm kinda curious which 4 you's classify as the adults?
REAL curious!

Wanna 'splain that, huh? huh?
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Let's just say that I'm not one of the four... :D
tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Post by tweeder »

but Ol' Man Smuz IS! :lol:
A legend in my own mind.