Check List

We are planning an LJ meeting in Colorado for June 21-23, 2005.

Moderators: stevec, Jimny

Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Walk?

WALK?!?!?!?!

Uhhhhh....... NO!
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.
KDKG
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by KDKG »

Marine? who's a marine? I'm not. I am an old short overweight Air Force guy with a bad knee. I did pass the fitness test even being mile high (after a couple of tries). It takes about a week to get over the initial shock of being this high for most people. Right after getting back from Iraq, we went up in the mountains and I passed out several times for a couple of secs (I was sick as a dog at the time). Wife said I would couch, gasp for air, go bug-eyed and then slump down in the seat.

Bottom line... take it easy, drink plenty of water, and bring sunscreen... If you have breathing problems already, you might want to talk to a doc before coming up here...

Dang that random Silverton website, they lied to me...
Home, Retired, and looking like a hippie.
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

Holy Smoke! I'm sorry for calling you a Marine. :wink:

My uncle was in the Air Force, he loved it! He made it his career for many years.
I'd rather be driving my LJ!
KDKG
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by KDKG »

I am almost at 18 years. Just 2 more to go...

:cool:
Home, Retired, and looking like a hippie.
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

:cool: Congrats!!!!
I'd rather be driving my LJ!
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Back on topic (this is supposed to be a "check list" for what to bring!), I thought I should discuss clothing, given the high elevation and (slim) possibility of snow in late June.

Being from the Pacific Northwest, where it is currently raining, has just stopped raining, or is getting ready to rain, the key is layers. wear a t-shirt and comfortable jeans, or even shorts (it will be summer after all, and for me anything above 65* is shorts weather!), but have other layers of clothing ready to put on: sweats or heavier jeans and a sweatshirt and or long sleeve shirt for evenings, when it will likely get quite cool, a waterproof jacket in case it rains or snows, gloves, a hat, and extra shoes and socks in case yours get wet. Two thinner layers are usually better than one thick layer of clothing, as they will keep you warmer, and are easier to shed if you get too warm. I usually wear a t-shirt, with a long sleeve shirt and thin, but waterproof jacket over it, and jeans, with shorts under the jeans if I think it'll be warm enough later in the day. Then I can can just gradually shed layers as it warms up, and if it cools off or rains, I'm ready!

On a related subject - sunscreen. It's easier to get sunburned at higher elevations than at lower elevations, so please come prepared!
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Correction: The Eureka campsite is "only" 9800', and the highest pass is only 12,800' :D
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude