more pics from the loop

We are planning an LJ meeting in Colorado for June 21-23, 2005.

Moderators: stevec, Jimny

Idahopaul
Lead Foot
Lead Foot

more pics from the loop

Post by Idahopaul »

here are some pics for you all to see, took me a while to get them on here, I been busy with camping and stuff since I got back. Saturday after everyone allready left the wife and I went and drove the whole Alpine loop all the way around and down into Ouray and back to Eureka. the trip from Engineer pass down to Ouray was bad it took almost as long as the whole loop, but was fun anyway. going up over cinnimon pass first from Eureka and then into lake city and over engineer that way is definately a lot easier than hitting it in reverse like we started out in the group.
Attachments
cinnamon pass.jpg
cinnamon pass.jpg (43.76 KiB) Viewed 15014 times
here is a pic of a dam along the way back from Lake city towards Engineer pass.
here is a pic of a dam along the way back from Lake city towards Engineer pass.
dam.jpg (70.88 KiB) Viewed 15013 times
this is in Ouray, and the best part is that its free to look at unlike thier other water fall that isnt all that.
this is in Ouray, and the best part is that its free to look at unlike thier other water fall that isnt all that.
cascade falls.jpg (67.31 KiB) Viewed 15012 times
this was a view from that road from Engineer to Ouray
this was a view from that road from Engineer to Ouray
view1.jpg (45.93 KiB) Viewed 15013 times
this is the mineral point stamp mill
this is the mineral point stamp mill
mineral point.jpg (58.15 KiB) Viewed 15012 times
this was a common creature on the trails
this was a common creature on the trails
marmont.jpg (68.79 KiB) Viewed 15013 times
a view from the opening of the mayflower mine shaft
a view from the opening of the mayflower mine shaft
mayflower mine.jpg (34.63 KiB) Viewed 15014 times
this wasnt on the loop but was a train that went from Durango to Silverton, the ride was way too long!
this wasnt on the loop but was a train that went from Durango to Silverton, the ride was way too long!
train.jpg (67.56 KiB) Viewed 15015 times
Strength is for service, not status.
Each one of us needs to look after
the good of the people arounds us,
"How can I help?"
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Grat pics Paul!!! I wish I could've stayed around longer! I'm thinking about planning another vacation there in a few years, when I can spend a week or two running all those trails; our stay this time was way too short.

The creature is a Marmot, and they are common. What isn't very common is when the big ones try to attack your LJ! I think your LJ must've got a little scared when that one charged you up by Engineer Pass, and that's why it cr@pped out the front driveshaft!

Wish you hadn't put that train pic in though: We were supposed to ride it on Sunday, just before the meet, but had to forfeit our ($200) tickets because we were stuck in Utah with the bad tranny. :Crying:

You still comin' to Liberty with us Labor Day? Did ya see where next year's meet is gonna be? :D
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Re: more pics from the loop

Post by stevec »

Idahopaul wrote:the trip from Engineer pass down to Ouray was bad it took almost as long as the whole loop.
That part is called the lower Engineer Pass trail; when I talked to the FS in Silverton, they weren't sure if that trail was open yet. Guess it was!

When I chose this area, I had initially planned to camp around Ouray, which would have had us starting out on that trail!
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
Idahopaul
Lead Foot
Lead Foot

Post by Idahopaul »

boy going up that trail would have been real bad, passable but with spotters and the like. ya, Im going to liberty over labor day! :cool: I have to fix my front drive shaft though, the spring clip on the inside of the cv let loose finally and thats why it popped the shaft out, dont know why it didnt happen sooner though. I shoved the driveshaft back in the cv and slip yoke and drove the loop on saturday. I figured if I needed it it would get me through the bad spots before it came out agian. turns out I didnt need to even use it for the loop! going up to the mayflower mine I used it for gearing the road was so freekin steep! that one had me nervous!
Strength is for service, not status.
Each one of us needs to look after
the good of the people arounds us,
"How can I help?"