My first LJ road driving

Have a neat story while driving your LJ. Tell us!

Moderator: stevec

crispy
Speeling Police
Speeling Police

My first LJ road driving

Post by crispy »

Well the story goes:
Took the LJ down for its police check on thursday, wasted a whole 20 bucks just for the guy to write down some numbers and give me a piece of paper sayin its not stolen, since it took so long for him to do this cos his torch batteries went flat, i missed gettin it rego'd that day. Go back down to rego place next day fill out a squillion forms and cough up more money and it's registered :D :D YAY!
Now can you say these cars draw attention, driving back to school people stopped and stared, i stopped in the car park and was surrounded by a mob of people (mainly girls :P ) asking all these questions :D I happily told them about my little car. Then my problems sorta started when i got home i realise my transfer case was leaking oil, never had done before so im like whats going on here, after a bit of mucking round found out that it had too much oil in it and it was coming out where the shifter was :roll: easy fix drop oil and put right amount in.
Then saturday after i finished work i took my friend for a ride, she had been asking for ages if it was finished yet. All was going well just crusing around until i went up this steepish hill and it sorta coughed so i dropped it back a gear and it went alright until just over the hill and it coughed and died :x and wouldnt restart. Luckily i was near my other mates house and rolled about 500 metres down back roads and intersections to his house. I left it sitting there for a while then tried to restart it and it ran fine, im thinking mustnt of liked the hill and rememberd that the previous owned had some hose on the carby to stop this. So we drive off thinking it should be alright wasn't many hills on the way home only 2-3 km's. Get down the road a bit it dies again, wait a bit restart it goes for a bit dies again. This happened about 10-15 more times by the time i got home, but the worst part was it had to die right in front of the traffic inspectors house :roll: he looked at me strangely so i think i will be pulled over if he see's me :cry: (i talked to his daughter last night and he was very suss about me :-( ) Anyway I'm trying to figure out what the prob was, the way it was dying felt like it was not getting fuel, air or oil. The oil tank was full, there was no air block and i had not long filled it up with fuel, or so i had thought. It turned out that the fuel tank was empty :shock: or very close to, i couldnt believe it. So took the jerry can down filled it up bring it back and it only takes about 10 Litres :shock: There is a few dents in the tank but i think it should hold more than that, so i think i might need a new fuel tank :? Hmm so that was my eventful few days and i was gonna go out for a drive today but its raining :pissed: ah well
Other than that she goes well, its fun to drive and is very noisey :P
Damn i wrote a lot :wink:
jock
Datto on the ground
Datto on the ground

Post by jock »

What no trips around a cane field :wink:

As for the fuel tank did you clean it out. Could have some garbage floating around in there that could be blocking the pick up or on of the dings in the bottom may have bent the pick up so it is not picking up of the bottom. Pull the tank out of the car and have a look through the fuel tank sender unit hole.

Or the fuel pump may be dodgy of it could just be a blocked fuel filter. Just because it is new doesn't mean it might not be blocked. ( be there done that).

But after all that Congrats on joining us all on the roads.

P.S. If your Cv's are still clicking I have some spare I don't need. Came with my LJ80 diffs. May be alright don't know.
crispy
Speeling Police
Speeling Police

Post by crispy »

yeah well my fuel gauge doesnt work either :?
I think its just been my bad i just presumed that the tank was full cos i filled it :roll:
I dont think enough fuel is getting into the tank cos it'll go up a bit then the filler neck is full so might be blocked there or something, i've got another fuel tank sitting round that i might put in if i get some time.

I've found a LJ80V that has like a genuine 23,000km on it but the body is shagged which i might be able to get, then ill swap to those diffs maybe...lol
Idahopaul
Lead Foot
Lead Foot

Post by Idahopaul »

ya, my filler neck is slow, and it seems full but isnt. it takes me a while to fill my tank. but then I havent tried to fill it since I found that the vent tube was kinked!
Strength is for service, not status.
Each one of us needs to look after
the good of the people arounds us,
"How can I help?"
crispy
Speeling Police
Speeling Police

Post by crispy »

Turned out my fuel gauge prob was the wire had come off the tank :roll:
And i'm pritty sure it was just crap in the bottom of the tank causing my probs :pissed:
Idahopaul
Lead Foot
Lead Foot

Post by Idahopaul »

ya, both tanks I have had now have rusted on the top. so if you look in the hole from the sending unit you see nice shiny metal, but what you cant see is on the roof of the tank. thats where my original tank was rusted out, and my other tank is rusty there too, causing some filter problems.
Strength is for service, not status.
Each one of us needs to look after
the good of the people arounds us,
"How can I help?"
crispy
Speeling Police
Speeling Police

Post by crispy »

Yeah my tank looked nice and clean/shiney on the bottom but i never thought to check the top :roll:
I havnt had any probs since cleaning it out so fingers crossed i wont have any more :wink: