Once upon a time....

Have a neat story while driving your LJ. Tell us!

Moderator: stevec

russmehl
Whats in Your Garage?
Whats in Your Garage?

Once upon a time....

Post by russmehl »

This thread is all my fault, so I'd better lay down the first words.
But I can't start an LJ story without letting slip that my first Suzuki was actually an L51 Carry. I found it in Marquette, Michigan in 1979. (College time) No idea where to get parts, no idea what parts I would soon be needing. Because it snows there (a lot), I still had a piece of Detroit Iron in the stable. If you are so sure that all Suzuki's are fool proof in the snow, try driving an empty pickup with those little tires. Look close at the pictures, those are ten inch tires. Slip and slide. It wasn't long before people I (my L51) would meet started telling me about someone they know has a Suzuki too. (I think I lost my name - I became "guy with the little truck".)
So I tracked down an LJ20V in late December and bought it. One problem... engine fried. (OK, it was cheap) So, out comes the engine from the L51 and into the LJ20. By spring I had hooked up with U.S. Suzuki for parts and had figured out what makes distributor rotors crack in half and felt ready for the big time. I sold my car. Down to an L51, LJ20 and Two engines. So for the next two years, every time I needed to go from Marquette to Detroit, it was in a Suzuki. That is about 450 miles, 250 of which are freeway. Some where in there I fell in Love with the right woman (who else would ride all day in a little truck on the freeway at 5200 rpm, through rain, sleet, snow, mud holes, power line right of ways, rock ledges and sand pits.) So we go to down to meet her Parents at Thanksgiving. Keep in mind this is the heart of the Big Three. I can't imagine what they thought. We show up in a little Orange Suzuki pickup truck, me with a full beard, (what will the neighbors think?) road weary, but still Very much in Love...
Well, it has lasted more than 20 years now, and she did say, just the other night, I could get an LJ20 if I wanted to.
Happy Valentines Day!
Russ
(Jimny - she was Mostly asleep!!! Thought she had been dreaming...Ha!)
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Re: Once upon a time....

Post by Jimny »

russmehl wrote:(Jimny - she was Mostly asleep!!! Thought she had been dreaming...Ha!)
Well that's the best time to talk to wife's.....right? LOL!!!
russmehl
Whats in Your Garage?
Whats in Your Garage?

Best time to talk to spouse...

Post by russmehl »

It depends on what you want... if you know what I mean!
Russ
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

LOL!